- As bloggers we love to get followers, comments and whatever social media connection we are participating in.
- But HOW can we measure the OUTPUT?
- Surely we CAN measure this and I will show you here with some examples at random, to also make clear that a high NUMBER of FOLLOWERS is often very deceiving! Bare with me till the very end; you will be in for quite a surprise!
- Let's start with my own very humble number of 490 followers...
- The world's number one site search is of course Google with 4,390,000,000 results...
- This is my own humble site search result for those 490 followers of my blog in 189 countries.
- Not bad; 1,840 results.
- This is Nora from the emotion-centered Seelensachen blog in Austria, with a very high number of followers; 1,868.
Seelensachen.blogspot.com yields 1,080 results on site search (blog has been removed)
- That is LESS than for my humble number of 490 followers.
- Loyal readers cannot be lured in temporarily, by feeding them just emotion-centered content.
- The Experts call that style: The vampire blogger.
- Some writers are just brilliant with their words and it comes across rather clear; don't you think?
- Below is an excerpt from Clay Morgan's post:
- Meet Anita Rivera from the Castles Crowns Cottages blog.
- Doing the site search for Castles Crowns and Cottages yields 554 results.
- Guess that Google too did spot this Copy & Paste Master with her very vague linking to the source; if at all.
- Does that make you feel more at ease about not having that many followers?
- Meet Delores from Vignette Design with her 1707 members.
- Doing the site search for Vignette Design yields 847 results.
- She does have great and genuine content at times, all of her own but she too knows how to borrow content and ideas from big websites.
- Again; Google knows how to spot when anyone uses thin or scraped content. Another issue is that she seldom does comment on other bloggers posts anymore.
- I gave up on her because of that as it cannot be a one-way event. Sad fact as Delores did help me out in June of 2010, when I was as green as they come in blogging. She pointed me to a tutorial for creating the widget to have others take it with them, off your side bar. That was mighty sweet!
- Don't you agree with me?
- There is Katysue from Good Life of Design who obviously no longer uses her Google Friend Connect but she ranked very high with her Copy & Paste blogging style and very vague source linking (just mentioning it is from Pinterest and such).
- But Google KNOWS that certain people are plagiarizing and they make it show up in their site search as you see above; Katysue yields only 847.
- Another blogger is Bella from Bellas Rose Cottage with quite a high number of followers; 1464 in total.
- She long abandoned my blog and never ever did comment, contrary to the beginning.
- Guess I no longer did qualify for belonging to her ranks.
- Doing the site search for Bellas Rose Cottage did yield 557 results.
- So, Google knows that she is not out and about as much as she ought to.
- Sweet Tammy from T's Daily Treasures with her 552 followers.
- Tammy's sincere, down to earth, happy and genuine posts with only use of her own photos did yield 1,190 with site search!
- Meet Elisabeth from Elisabeth Welt in Germany.
- Sure, speaking seven languages does make my horizon a little bit bigger but most bloggers do have a Google translate button so you too can visit more 'out of the box' so to speak.
- Dear Elisabeth from Elisabeth Welt does yield astonishingly high with the site search: A MEGA 7,810!
- So how come that Elisabeth's World (translated from German) scores THIS high?
One thing I know for sure; she is the MOST LOYAL COMMENTER in the blogger world and she posts very frequent, short posts, not those BORING long text stories that nobody has time to read.
We scan the Internet; we don't READ on the Internet.
Hah, lesson learned...?!
Elisabth also is following the COMMENT- DIALOGUE instead of the Monologue theory; she does REPLY to comments!
Another fabulous blog that I have had on my side bar for quite a while is: Fashion.
- Sarah does have 1,249 followers.
- Sarah also yields very high with her outstanding blog Fashion; 22,600!
- You ought to check out those outstanding blogs and think twice about running like lemmings after something that IS NOT...
- Okay, both my husband and I have done a lot of analyzing during our years as international mushroom consultants. I still like to do this. It teaches you how to read between the lines, how to detect genuine material from pretentious plagiarized material.
- Somebody else did the work by making excellent photos and big deal you write a blog post about it.
- Or those that use others' suffering as an emotion-centered bait for their blogs.
- I do not approve of that either.
- We all ought to bring RESPECT back into our culture.
- As for my MANTRA it is BACK TO BASICS.
- Like former chief evangelist of Apple +Guy Kawasaki is saying so well:
We all ought to recognize and promote other bloggers as well. It is not only about us.
- On my sidebar I have always put some fledgling bloggers, to help them being exposed to a larger audience.
Certainly I would have appreciated that myself in my beginning period.
- Under my Blogger Tips, you still can find several tutorials with Blogger Tips.
- Use them as you please, that is my little contribution of Making Meaning.
- What is your opinion about this google site search result?
- Were you surprised by the outcome?
- Love to hear your thoughts!
PS for Ria from the blog It’s Me this photo of her site search which did yield 708 for her 1120 followers and not 6,070 as she mentioned in her comment below. Follow the Google Webmaster guidelines by logging in to google.com and then type: site:... fill in your blog name only, as shown in above examples, leaving the http:// off. We have to compare apples with apples!