It is some ten years ago that we got our Exochorda 'Pearlbush' macrantha The Bride from Caroll Gardens in Westminster, MD but they have suspended their business... We do have many garden gems from that nursery. BUT for those of you that will like what you see here; you can get another variety Pearlbush Exochorda racemosa from Woodlanders, Inc in Aiken, SC.
- To love a pearlbush takes a special person. One with a beating heart. Yet for some strange reason, few gardeners grow pearlbush or even know it exists. You almost never see it for sale...
- Round white buds, resembling pearls, expand into pendulous clusters of 1" size, dogwood-like blooms. Pearlbush Exochorda ranks among early spring's showiest bloomers. This compact hybrid called macrantha The Bride remains 4 till 5 feet tall. The Exochorda racemosa grows taller.
- This is our compact Pearlbush shrub. To the left you still can see the beech tree with all its leaves still on it. They fill up our woodgarden in winter time as they never get bare! We have added lots of evergreen trees and shrubs but this is a nice color mix.
- As I LOVE pearls, shown here are my Majorica pearls together with the buds from the Pearlbush. There was some wind today so we had a hard time to take these shots with pearls next to the buds... So I did put them on my tea tray for some closeup still life shots. Pieter had this idea to break a few branches off.
- For those of you in the area; Book and Event at Mariette's Back to Basics for a Garden Tour.