- By the way, on April 23, Pieter turned 20, as a USA citizen!
- We could watch the Coronation ceremonies from our hotel room via Live TV stream of NOS Journaal; Dutch broadcasting. When we did arrive at 1:00 PM at the airport we were in for a Royal Treat in honor of King Willem-Alexander's Coronation Day.
- Cupcakes with an orange crown made for some great treats to all passengers willing to take one!
- Husband Pieter enjoyed it very much. He ate already an orange glazed Tompouce (Napoleon) pastry and now the cupcake goes down as sweet lunch food! Just click the link above for recipe and historical information...
- The colors of the Dutch flag: Red - White - Blue were shown as well as tiny flags on each cupcake.
- There were two flights going to Amsterdam but the one showing at gate 3 was not the one for Liz & Hans...
- We got so lucky for arriving almost at the same time; only 15 minutes after KLM landed, we got there on our American Airlines flight for frequent flyer miles. Great service by that airline we must say!
- Our departure was also 20 minutes apart from each other. We departed from gate 4 and Liz & Hans from gate 1...
- Orange balloons on the floor; it looked very festive!
- Very nice presentation...
- At another table, ladies in orange shirts were offering the typical Dutch 'Bitter Ballen' from which I did taste one. Long ago that I had one, typically being served at weddings during reception and at parties.
- Customary these Bitter Balls were being served alongside Bitters such as Dutch Gin or in this case, Dutch Oranje Bitter (Orange Bitter). Click the above link for Dutch Beef Bitterballen recipe and info.
- Another Dutch treat are Poffertjes or Pancake Puffs.
- Click above link again, for recipe of Classic Poffertjes.
Curaçao Airport | Find out more about this great tropical destination.
Willem-Alexander sworn in as king of the Netherlands after his mother abdicates | Dutch Caribbean Legal Portal
King Willem-Alexander will be inaugurated, not crowned | Dutch Caribbean Legal Portal
Maxima's parents will watch Dutch coronation on TV | Hello Magazine - Royalty
Queen Maxima gives nod to Dutch flag with cobalt blue gown | Hello Magazine - Royalty
Willem-Alexander Becomes New Dutch King After Queen Beatrix Abdicates The Throne (VIDEO, PHOTOS) | Huffington Post
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort Curaçao | Where we were last year and again this year (formerly Hyatt)