When renovating the home there comes a point where you look at certain things that become trash and others that we still can REPURPOSE. Such was the case with our Vintage Woodworks Balusters. Several were rotting away, while others were still in perfect condition.
Let's have a look...
Husband Pieter created this very romantic bridge across our creek, using what was left from the Vintage Woodworks Balusters on our Balcony.
This photo is from August 1, after he had painted the balusters and treated the bridge with a wood preservative.
This was on May 11, the Interlock Aluminum Roof by +Interlock Roofing had already been installed.
Next project was to strip the balcony before the painters would start pressure washing the entire house.
Off came the partly rotten balusters with their top and bottom rails attached.
From a different angle... Those rails with balusters measure 12 ft each!
Husband Pieter on the ladder, taking that corner post down...
Our gas tank will also be moved, in winter time, when it is no longer that hot for working outside.
A new concrete platform in front of the chimney, will hold it and there its color also blends in better.
Our Jasmine pots will go onto the old concrete platform. We learned a lot about mud splashing up on all our flower pots. Having concrete for placing them on, will avoid most of the soiling with mud.
One baluster with rails attached is down...
Taking it apart for REPURPOSING...
On the rain side, it is really rot...
How many times Pieter did repair it with epoxy over the years, but we had to give up.
New polyurethane balusters and rails with posts got ordered in Texas from Vintage Woodworks, so we never again will face any rotten wood.
Now, let me walk you across the lawn towards the creek, into our wood garden...
Look what Pieter built from the remaining good balusters and posts!
That looks quite romantic doesn't it?
Vintage Woodworks balusters and all three corner posts repurposed!
Our creek looks messy still from all the drift wood that came floating with the many floodings of last month.
For weeks, Pieter could not finish this bridge, as it was with the lower parts sitting IN the water...
Below post you find a short 1:29 minute video, taken with my iPhone on July 13.
These photos are from August 1.
Don't be fooled by its size; the center section measures 3.66 m or 12 ft + the two slanted sections...
It really looks beautiful to me.
What do you say?
Aha, we crossed the bridge and looking now towards our newly painted home. Your very first view of it on the driveway side. More to follow soon!
How many leaves got knocked down by all those thunderstorms accompanied by heavy rains...
We got very murky water, due to a damaged water pipe, two streets down.
On Saturday we were without water for quite some time!
Looking down from the bridge.
An entire beach from white sand has been build up from all the flooding.
Pieter had this fine sand for free for redoing our washed concrete path towards the gazebo.
Just hauling it on the wheel barrow.
In the back you see the huge pipe that goes underneath the road.
Since that pipe for drinking water got damaged and all the mud run into the creek, we have not had enough rain to wash it out again.
A beach with sand, still wet and muddy...
Lots of weeds growing but we cannot even mow the lawn near the creek as it is way too soggy!
Hope you enjoyed our bridge from our wooden balusters being REPURPOSED.
Next post you will get to see our finished home...