While working and living in Indonesia for the world's largest mushroom farm, I wrote the following:
HOW TO MAKE US HAPPY?
1) Please pick us by the 'one–touch–technique' and don't move us into your hand, bruising and scratching us.
2) Don't pull us off the beds, but with a twisting motion; that hurts less – and please; don't scratch us with your long finger nails.
3) Don't cut us wrong because that looks ugly and we often end up with some soil on stem.
4) Please don't throw us into the tray, because that way we get bruised, but gently put us inside.
5) Don't overfill the trays, so that the ones on the bottom are still happy and not crushed.
6) Please pick us in time. We are like you; we like to be pretty and good looking; not oversized or open.
7) Don't make our babies sick by spreading diseases (contamination) with dirty hands, long hair, wide sleeves, bangles etc.
8) Please don't put us in the sun or wind in front of the shed. We are loosing weight very rapidly and our skin will turn brown and even peels off.
9) Don't smash us into the truck, because a number of us will get wounded – but handle the 'keranjang-keranjang' (trays) gentle.
If you don't forget these points, you can still see us smile, after processing, in the glasses, proud to travel to Green Giant in the U.S.A.
We, Dieng Djaya mushrooms, like to be the happiest and prettiest ones and so become the favourite choice of all people in the U.S.A.
Read an entire CHAPTER about HARVESTING in our newest book that is available WORLDWIDE as Print on Demand, at 40,000+ booksellers